AC Car logo history
The first car of what would become AC was presented at the Crystal Palace motor show in 1903, but it is a 20HP touring car and is displayed under the name of Weller. The Weller Brothers of West Norwood, London, is expected to produce an advanced 20 hp (15 kW) car. However, Portwine (its funder) estimates that the car would be too expensive to produce and Weller encouraged to design and produce a short delivery tricycles. Weller has done, called it the car-carrier, and a new company was founded and named Autocars and accessories, production began in 1904. Trapped in the vehicle quickly and was a financial success. In 1907 appeared a passenger version, called AC sociable. He had a seat in the place of the cargo box.
The company became Auto Carriers Ltd in 1911 and moved to Ferry Works, Thames Ditton, Surrey - at this time also began using the famous "AC" circle logo. His first four-wheeled car was produced in 1913, but is a little sporty two-seater with a gearbox on the rear axle. Only a few were built before production was interrupted by WWI.
During the Great War, the Ferry Works factory produced shells and fuses for the war effort, although at least one vehicle was designed and built by the War Office. At the end of the First World War, AC Cars started to motor vehicles do it again, the design and construction of numerous car ferry Works, as well as the expansion of a balloon factory in Thames Ditton High Street.
After the war, John Weller began to design a new air campaign, 6-cylinder engine. The first versions of this design is implemented by 1919. Weller was the engine until 1963, is probably the second longest life of engine production in the history of Volkswagen after the boxer.
In 1921, Selwyn Edge (who had been with Napier & Son) bought shares in the company and was appointed head of government. He did not get along with or Portwine Weller, who resigned less than a year later. In 1922, the name changed again to the network edge Autos Ltd. bought the company directly for £ 135,000 in 1927 and re-registered as AC (Aced) Ltd but sales, which has been declining, continued to decline. The company was caught by accident in 1929 and went into voluntary liquidation. Production was halted for a while, and the company was sold to the Hurlock family who ran a successful transport company. They wanted the High Street just as a factory warehouse (Ferry Works was acquired), but allowed the services sector continued to CA.
A single car was made for William Hurlock in 1930. He liked and agreed to restart production very limited, mainly using the remaining components of previous models. Agreement was reached with Standard to supply new chassis, the old three-speed transaxle was replaced by a modern four-speed (with built in motor drive), and by 1932 a new range of cars was finally launched. Continue on this small-scale production, with an average of less than 100 vehicles per year, until the outbreak of WWII in 1939. The last car before the war, surrendered in June 1940, after the factory was fully involved with the production of war.
Click here for more information on the History, Design and Meaning of Car Logos The logos are registered trademarks. Use of the logo here does not imply endorsement of the organization by this site.
AC Car logo history and AC logo images
By Carlogos Aug 23, 2009 View