Argyll was a Scottish motor car marque manufactured from 1899 to 1932, and again from 1976 to around 1990.
Alex Govan was founded L'Hozier Engineering Company in 1899 and to this plant as the first cart was Argyll product copied from the contemporary Renault, there are 2 ¾ hp De Dion engine and shaft d 'training. 1901 models have an improved engine 5 hp; cars manufactured in 1902 have been upgraded even further, using 8 units of HP. Soon appeared a Twin 10 hp with radiator tubes forming the sides of the hood in 1904, the company introduced a range of front-radiatored Aster-engine cars. One of them was a 10 HP, 1985 cc, others were on all fours to 3054 cc, 3686 cc and 4849 cc. All cars featured gearbox rather clumsy Govan, who had a T-shaped gate and reverse separate levers and gear shift. Argyll has now become the leading brand in Scotland and soon moved from its premises in Bridgeton, Glasgow with a terracotta factory, large in the suburbs of Alexandria, built for the company now named Argyll Motors Ltd. The plant has never been fully utilized, and the company began to decline after the death of Govan's in 1907 and went into liquidation in 1908.
Production restarted in 1910 under a company, now called Argyll Ltd, with a new range of cars, including the famed "Flying Fifteen", and a six-cylinder model. The 12/14 has been widely sold as taxis are even exported to New York. Four-wheel brakes designed by JM Rubury Argyll  and patented March 18, 1910 by Henri Perrot and Jean Meredith Rubury (patent number 6807)  were available from 1911 and 1912 the single sleeve valves are designed by company director Baillie P. Burt and JP McCollum began production; full range featuring Burt-McCollum engines in 1914.
Argyll has changed hands in 1914 and the Alexandria plant was sold to the Royal Navy for production of torpedoes. Car production was resumed on a small scale in the original Bridgeton under the control of John Brimlow who had previously directed the repair service. The first product of the new company is a revival of prewar 15.9 HP model, now with electric start, but few have been sold. In 1922 he was joined by a 1 ½-liter model and sleeve valve in 1926 by the 12/40 sports.
The company made a last appearance at the London Motor Show in 1927 and last cars were probably made in 1928 although still advertised until Argyll closed in 1932.
Click here for more information on the History, Design and Meaning of Car Logos The logos are registered trademarks. Use of the logo here does not imply endorsement of the organization by this site.